David Mitchell's Soapbox - Carbohydrates

Heeeeere's David!
alien_conceptsays...

>> ^ChaosEngine:

Yeah, atkins sucks. And so does dial-up internet and the spice girls.
Anything else that died out a few years ago that he wants to rail against?


He's talking about low carb high protein diets though really and they have definitely not died out.

Ryjkyjsays...

He's forgetting dietary rule #247: Some people are completely biologically dependent on being a pain in the ass. It doesn't matter what they're cutting from their diet: gluten, dairy, carbs or marshmallows. I believe that if you were able to genetically isolate these people and provide them with a situation where they could remain a constant pain in the ass to someone, they could survive purely on principle, needing no supplemental nutrition at all.

EvilDeathBeesays...

>> ^Yogi:

>> ^EvilDeathBee:
>> ^Sagemind:
Anyway you look at it, Atkins is still dead!

What's your point? That his diet doesn't work because he's died... at the age of 72... from a fall where hit his head?

I think his point was to be funny.


I dunno about that. Someone slipping, smashing their head, causing them to die isn't something I'd put down as funny. Must be my strange, Australian sense of humour.

Yogisays...

>> ^EvilDeathBee:

I dunno about that. Someone slipping, smashing their head, causing them to die isn't something I'd put down as funny. Must be my strange, Australian sense of humour.


Sure, fuck that guy I don't know him. I hope everyone I don't know dies horribly and someone I know gets it on video so I can laugh forever!

Zawashsays...

And if he also knew proper bread - coarse, freshly baked norwegian style bread*) made from whole-grain flour. Mmmh.

And no - it is nothing like the pre-sliced "grain" toast you may have tasted.


And - David Mitchell => Instant upvote


*) Actually the recipe originated from Germany, but who cares?

heathensays...

>> ^EvilDeathBee:

>> ^Sagemind:
Anyway you look at it, Atkins is still dead!

What's your point? That his diet doesn't work because he's died... at the age of 72... from a fall where hit his head?


As Tom Stoppard said, when asked why he smoked while knowing cigarretts could kill him, "How differently I might behave if immortality were an option."

Jinxsays...

The most delicious thing about pistachios is the shell. See, the shell acts as a sort of limiter on the amount of pistachio you can feasible consume per second. It limits you just enough that you can never quite binge fast enough to make yourself sick of them. I find myself frantically trying to strip the salty pearl, desperately chasing the tail of the Dragon, fingers raw from the pursuit but I can never quite catch it.

Ofc, you could always stockpile shelled pistachios, but that is true madness. Who on earth could resist a unshelled pistachio for more than a second?

gharksays...

Yes, toast is delicious.

No, low carb, high fat diets are not a fad - they actually have some decent evidence to support them.

Overall I would say that while carbs can be a bad thing, especially foods high in simple sugars, the biggest issue is the poor quality of the food the carbs are often coming with. Macka's, KFC and the large amount of easily available packaged (highly processed) food are mostly to blame for globesity. I cringe when people talk about how awesome it is to try eating Cap'n Crunch or another random, similar breakfast cereal for all meals of the day - you just have to look at the side of the pack to see that you are basically just eating a bag of lollies, not exactly the path to good health.

xxovercastxxsays...

What people don't seem to realize is that Atkins is starvation with a full belly. Yes, if you reduce your useable energy intake to zero, you'll quickly start dropping fat... and muscle... and whatever else your body can break down to fill the gap.

When you go back to eating normally, you'll probably pack it right back on. That's how our bodies generally respond to starvation.

The real kicker is how many people think carbs are unhealthy as a result of this stupid diet.

Back around 2000 when I was sick with an ulcer, acid reflux, and a generally uncooperative GI tract, I was telling someone about how I ate a lot of plain pasta because it never irritated my gut, it was reasonably healthy, and at least I was eating something. I was about 40lbs underweight at this point, so I had to take what I could get. Someone overheard me and said, "Oh, all those carbs are really unhealthy."

TheFreaksays...

I find I quite easy to drastically reduce carbs and eliminate potatoes, pasta and bread all together. I suppose it's a matter of taste.

That being said, the food pyramid has always been a sham, with powerful agricultural and food lobbies holding too much influence over the politicians who create it...time and time again throughout its history. Doesn't seem unreasonable given what we know about health at the moment, compared to the beginning of the 20th century, to believe that grains and starchy foods should NOT form the basis of a healthy diet.

gharksays...

>> ^xxovercastxx:

What people don't seem to realize is that Atkins is starvation with a full belly. Yes, if you reduce your useable energy intake to zero, you'll quickly start dropping fat... and muscle... and whatever else your body can break down to fill the gap.
When you go back to eating normally, you'll probably pack it right back on. That's how our bodies generally respond to starvation.
The real kicker is how many people think carbs are unhealthy as a result of this stupid diet.
Back around 2000 when I was sick with an ulcer, acid reflux, and a generally uncooperative GI tract, I was telling someone about how I ate a lot of plain pasta because it never irritated my gut, it was reasonably healthy, and at least I was eating something. I was about 40lbs underweight at this point, so I had to take what I could get. Someone overheard me and said, "Oh, all those carbs are really unhealthy."


It's not starvation - fat has twice as much 'usable energy' as carbohydrates have per gram. Your mind will tell you it's starving for the first few days, because it takes time to build up enough enzymes to efficiently process the different form of energy than it usually gets, but it all ends up as ATP eventually. You're probably right about some people thinking carbs are bad because of this diet, but that's assuming they treat the diet like a religion and don't look at any other information, which is not going to be the case for everyone - and heck, quite a few of the sources of easily available carbs these days are pretty horribawful.

Also, if you look at the research, those participants in low carb/high fat/adequate protein diets usually fair just as good, or better than, high carb participants in terms of keeping the weight off after the diet is over.

Send this Article to a Friend



Separate multiple emails with a comma (,); limit 5 recipients






Your email has been sent successfully!

Manage this Video in Your Playlists




notify when someone comments
X

This website uses cookies.

This website uses cookies to improve user experience. By using this website you consent to all cookies in accordance with our Privacy Policy.

I agree
  
Learn More