Man Wins Cockroach Eating Contest, Then Dies

No, he did not die on camera. Here's footage of the actual contest (yuk!)

YouTube Description:

R.I.P Edward Archbold...Edward Archbold was, according to those who met him on Friday night, the life of the party -- a bit of a showoff who was up for anything, even a giant cockroach-eating contest.

He won. And then, tragically, he died.

Now police from Deerfield Beach, Fla., about 40 miles north of Miami, are investigating the death of the 32-year-old, who on Facebook went by Edward William Barry.

According to the Broward Sheriff's Office, Archbold, of West Palm Beach, and several other contestants signed up to eat a variety of insects at Ben Siegel Reptiles in Deerfield Beach. After eating dozens of giant cockroaches, Archbold was declared the winner of an ivory-ball python.

He had also entered a superworm-eating contest earlier in the night.But after winning, Archbold felt sick and started vomiting. He then collapsed in the store and was later pronounced dead. The medical examiner's office is conducting tests to determine a cause of death.

(LIveLeak) Ben Siegel Reptile Store's attorney, Luke Lirot, said the bugs in the contest were "taken from an inventory of insects that are safely and domestically raised in a controlled environment as food for reptiles" and offered condolences to Archbold's family.

In a statement posted over the weekend, store staff said "although we just met Eddie the night of the sale, we all liked him right away."

Staff said the prize python belongs now to Archbold's estate

Load Comments...

Send this Article to a Friend

Separate multiple emails with a comma (,); limit 5 recipients

Your email has been sent successfully!

Manage this Video in Your Playlists

notify when someone comments

This website uses cookies.

This website uses cookies to improve user experience. By using this website you consent to all cookies in accordance with our Privacy Policy.

I agree
Learn More