Dumbass of the Day!

More mensa action!
siftbotsays...

Tags for this video have been changed from 'dumbass of the day, dumbass, kicking concrete, mensa' to 'dumbass of the day, dumbass, kicking concrete, mensa, Bad Idea' - edited by schmawy

dannym3141says...

Holy shit... i have to say, if i was breaking down a concrete fence, and i saw it was broken already, i'm not certain the idea wouldn't have come to me to kick it through.

Not through vandalism, though i am british so it does appeal to me. As does "shove ha'penny", "binge drinking" and "domestic violence."

It really wouldn't have occured to me that the weight of the concrete was so great or that the break would be so clean that the other blocks could slide down unhindered.

10722says...

haha.

You have to admire the british pain threshold... his shin bone has just been crushed to tiny pieces and he's barely panicking!

Of course, he loses marks for not giving a dusgruntled sigh first.

deedub81says...

That's not funny. It's terrible. How can you LOL at somebody else's pain. He probably suffered a fairly serious injury there. I could only laugh if I knew he was none the worse for the wear. Granted, he's an idiot, but are we really that cruel?

laurasays...

hey, why am I the only one pointing out here that the fence isn't concrete????Looks (and sounds!) like 2x8 boards to me, horizontally mounted on posts. I wouldn't have expected the top board to slide down like that, either...(in fact, if you look closely, the board on top of THAT one fell to the ground) Even if it WAS concrete, how is his kicking gonna push a whole concrete brick that size out all at once like that?!? Sheesh. This is just an unfortunate happening. Poor guy.
*Edit: just found this, interesting!
http://designerconcrete.com/portfolio/woodcrete/pages/Wood_look_fence.htm
still sounds like wood to me, but it did act like concrete. He's a dumbass for sure, but still...poor guy!

HoRnOsays...

It is concrete, I've seen those type of walls before.

Is it mindless vandalism? Yes
Is he stupid? Yes
Is it funny? Yes

Nobody wants bad things to happen to people but here we have a very simple case of cause and effect.

Kerotansays...

I don't understand those who feel sorry for this stupid mug, lets say he was proving that he could kick though one of your windows, and while doing so, the window cuts his leg to pieces, would you go "oh I am so sorry that my window cut your leg to shreds, next time I will get glass that shatters less" or would you cackle and tell him serves him right for his mindless destruction of property that isn't his. However in fairness to all the "your so cruel" party, if I was there at the time I wouldn't laugh, I would most likely puke everywhere, but I wouldn't feel sorrow or pity for someone who damages property that in the end some one other than him is going to have to pay for.

blankfistsays...

>> ^deedub81:
That's not funny. It's terrible. How can you LOL at somebody else's pain. He probably suffered a fairly serious injury there. I could only laugh if I knew he was none the worse for the wear. Granted, he's an idiot, but are we really that cruel?

I am.

12006says...

"That's not funny. It's terrible. How can you LOL at somebody else's pain. He probably suffered a fairly serious injury there. I could only laugh if I knew he was none the worse for the wear. Granted, he's an idiot, but are we really that cruel?"

i find it hilarious. these chavs deserve all they get for their mindless violence and vandalism. if only he were headbutting it...

deedub81says...

Of course I wouldn't apologize and tell them "I'll get glass that shatters less." That would just be silly. Vandalism is wrong, and he did have it coming to him. I just don't take pleasure at other's misfortune.

...Unless they get hit in the nuts by their 5 year old with a whiffle ball bat. Now that's funny!


>> ^Kerotan:
I don't understand those who feel sorry for this stupid mug, lets say he was proving that he could kick though one of your windows, and while doing so, the window cuts his leg to pieces, would you go "oh I am so sorry that my window cut your leg to shreds, next time I will get glass that shatters less" or would you cackle and tell him serves him right for his mindless destruction of property that isn't his. However in fairness to all the "your so cruel" party, if I was there at the time I wouldn't laugh, I would most likely puke everywhere, but I wouldn't feel sorrow or pity for someone who damages property that in the end some one other than him is going to have to pay for.

11807says...

The human body has 206 bones. This kid now has 220, not counting the splinters.

>> ^qualm:
Of course some of you realize that taking pleasure in videos where people are significantly injured makes one a complete scumbag...


Yeah, well, then what do you think of the person who originally uploaded this video? Who knows, it could have been the victim.

Damn, REALLY wish my speakers were working right now.

Mazesays...

To be honest, the apparent "time" doesn't fit the "crime".

I'm really surprised this is as popular as it's turned out. Actually shocked is a better word. "Ha Ha, man fall down!" is one thing, but getting you foot crushed off at the ankle?

qualmsays...

There are two typical reactions to videos depicting people getting seriously injured: One is to laugh and take pleasure from the suffering of others. The other reaction is to feel very uncomfortable, even physically uncomfortable upon witnessing their suffering.

Now, on websites such as Liveleak there are hundreds of people who actually enjoy watching videos that depict, for example, half a dozen people being shattered and smeared across the highway in a high-speed collision. The commentaries which follow the video will express a sort of frenzied glee at having been witness to such ghoulish tragedy. I would argue that for these viewers something has died inside.

gwiz665says...

qualm: It's one thing to watch stupidity getting punished (see jackass and this) it's entirely another to watch a high-speed collision. I would like to think that this is the highroad of the two and would very much like not to be associated with the others.

This is an idiot getting punished for his idiocy; that makes me laugh. If the video was 2 minutes longer and we actually saw that his foot had been severed, I would probably laugh quite a bit less.

Mazesays...

>> ^gwiz665:
This is an idiot getting punished for his idiocy; that makes me laugh. If the video was 2 minutes longer and we actually saw that his foot had been severed, I would probably laugh quite a bit less.


How would you feel simply knowing that the foot was severed, rather seeing it in the hypothetical extended video? Would that change the humor value?

chilaxesays...

The irony of pointless vandalism being outsmarted by the damaged structure adds an element not found in most shock videos. But we would all prevent him from getting injured if we could, and these videos kind of seem like PSAs, making many of us more careful.

schmasays...

I dunno... I just hope we're not going to see all faceplants and assorted jackass-y mishaps on the sift top 15 anytime soon. There's just too many other videosites that cater to that segment exclusively already

gorgonheapsays...

Well as qualified as qualm may be as the moral compass of the internet, I have to disagree with your comparisons. When I was 12 I hit a horizontal steel bar and did a face plant into the concrete about 4 feet below. At the time it was pretty tramatic, I mangled my face and lost my two front teeth.

But here's the best part. Years later I still laugh about it. BECAUSE IT WAS MY OWN DAMN FAULT. Now if this kid has any sense of humor I bet him and his friends have laughed about this several times.

So please stop trying to compare this to horrible accidents or holocaust victims or whatever other atrocity you come up with. It's the kids own jackassery and it's something him and his friends can laugh about years from now.

qualmsays...

What a pathetic and sneering rationalization. (And amusing lack of reading comprehension.) You're missing the point, and it doesn't change the fact there remain two main reactions to videos where people are significantly injured. (Only one of these find any humour at all.)

gorgonheapsays...

Your welcome to your opinion but it seems that you passion for the subject misses your own reading comprehension. As you seem to have no valid argument for your point since you comparisons are unequal and your only defense is that you think anyone who doesn't downvote this is a lower life form.

You feel that why, that's fine. And if attacking peoples intelligence makes you feel better, ok we can tolerate that. Pain is part of life, and laughter is the spice of it. My comment wasn't a rationalization of other peoples actions, it's my own experence with the painful results of my own stupidity, and in that context I find humor.

>> ^qualm:
What a pathetic and sneering rationalization. (And amusing lack of reading comprehension.) You're missing the point, and it doesn't change the fact there remain two main reactions to videos where people are significantly injured. (Only one of these find any humour at all.)

qualmsays...

WTF. I didn't make any "comparisons". That must have been you setting up a straw-man argument.

"but it seems that you passion for the subject misses your own reading comprehension."

Misses my own reading comprehension...What the fuck is this supposed to mean? Were you home-schooled?

Comparisons are UNEQUAL. What are you trying to say, again?

"Pain is part of life, and laughter is the spice of it."

Is that the sum of your argument? That's so funny it hurts!

gwiz665says...

>> ^Maze:
>> ^gwiz665:
This is an idiot getting punished for his idiocy; that makes me laugh. If the video was 2 minutes longer and we actually saw that his foot had been severed, I would probably laugh quite a bit less.

How would you feel simply knowing that the foot was severed, rather seeing it in the hypothetical extended video? Would that change the humor value?

In retrospect, perhaps. On first glance, no. I feel for him, both for the severed foot and the minimal intelligence.


>> ^qualm:
What a pathetic and sneering rationalization. (And amusing lack of reading comprehension.) You're missing the point, and it doesn't change the fact there remain two main reactions to videos where people are significantly injured. (Only one of these find any humour at all.)

That is not really the point. The point is that in this example it's his own fault, therefore I don't feel bad about laughing at his misfortune. Faceplants in general are of this sort, people who behave stupidly and are punished (sometimes severely) for it. A car accident is most likely not the injured peoples fault, and I would feel bad about seeing humor in that. If the above video ended up hurting another person, who was completely innocent, I would not see much humor in that either.

qualmsays...

No, who is the cause of the injury is not the point at all. You're attempting to rationalize away whatever it is that remains in you that's making you uncomfortable. I was able to predict forward the final result of the fellow's mischief- I saw it coming. And when the blocks fell I got no pleasure from it. I didn't find any humour in it at all. I cringed. Something of the human in me identified with the pain felt by another human being. It's called compassion.

You're suggesting there's a moral factor here in relation to the process of cause and effect. This implies there's an element of justice involved, and that the comedic impulse stems from the justice which is meted out by the laws of nature. I've stated that it's a sense of justice, and a punishment, that's twisted entirely out of proportion with the original action. So this "justice" is delivered by the laws of nature -- by which we are all at one point or another victimized -- and in this there is a certain dramatic element that is almost Shakespearian in form. But -- and this is the point I've made several times with Farhad and his war-porn: those are real people getting hurt and killed.

To lack compassion for them is to see a part of yourself die.

No man is an island,
Entire of itself.
Each is a piece of the continent,
A part of the main.
If a clod be washed away by the sea,
Europe is the less.
As well as if a promontory were.
As well as if a manner of thine own
Or of thine friend's were.
Each man's death diminishes me,
For I am involved in mankind.
Therefore, send not to know
For whom the bell tolls,
It tolls for thee.

MarineGunrocksays...

Exactly.

Qualm, no one here is saying that if the wall didn't collapse on his foot, the police should have shown up and done it for him. What happened to him was his fault.

Just because this is funny, does not mean someone should have their hands cut off for stealing.
The only people that should have anything cut off for doing something are rapists.

gwiz665says...

Well, qualm, I think we're going to agree to disagree, because I think the intent of the "victim" is important and you don't.

(As I interpret your view) you see it as a the incident in itself: "Man gets hurt by a concrete block" and that we laugh at that.

I see it, as "Man gets hurt by a concrete block, because he is performing vandalism and is ignorant of the direct causal consequences" and I laugh at his stupidity, not that fact that he was significantly injured. I take no more pleasure out of it, if the foot is severed than if it just hurts really bad for a while. In fact, it's most likely the opposite.

You remove the victim's intent from your argument, but I think that is wrong, because the intent is an important part in why we don't feel particular compassion for him.

qualmsays...

I don't at all remove the victim's mischief from the equation. I happen to think it's trivial. Go back to what I wrote of justice, and of balance. Perhaps if the young vandal had placed a kick and farted, and been embarrassed in front of his friends, that would probably been proportional, and funny. But the kid's ankle was smashed. And this passes for humour today. It is what we have become. It's very sad.

gwiz665says...

Ok, so not remove it, but you trivialize it. I think it's more important than that.

Yeah, the punishment is quite a bit harder than the "crime". But it's not about weighing the punishment to fit the crime - if a guy said "I can jump over a moving car" and couldn't resulting in his death, I would have very little pity/compassion for him. I'm not sure I would laugh then, because the punishment was so severe, but then it's all about personal point of view. I can gather that my threshold for what is funny is far higher on the "pain/stupidity scale" than yours and that's just difference of opinion, I think.

I do resent that you blame all of us of lacking compassion, just because we laugh at this fool. You can take that particular high road and shove it, to be honest.

qualmsays...

"because the punishment was so severe" -- Apparently getting one's lower leg pulverized is not enough to warrant your precious sympathy. This says a lot about you.

"but then it's all about personal point of view" -- Is it? I think when it comes to empathy and compassion either you feel it or you don't. There's no intellectualizing before hand. You and many here have been deadened. I haven't been.

" I do resent that you blame all of us of lacking compassion, just because we laugh..." -- at a child who has suffered a significant crush injury due to his childish mischief. And yet if only you were a little ashamed and not resentful. Then you would know that your humanity was beginning to thaw.

gwiz665says...

I think we are sliding into the wonderful world of personal attacks. :-/

I don't think that MY sympathy is particularly precious, but it is quite obvious that YOU think mine and all others are.

""but then it's all about personal point of view" -- Is it? I think when it comes to empathy and compassion either you feel it or you don't. There's no intellectualizing before hand. You and many here have been deadened. I haven't been."

Oh please, get of your high horse. It IS about point of view, there are no absolutes about compassion/empathy/sympathy whatever you want to call it and it's a sliding scale. If you feel that you're better than us, because you haven't "deadened" that must be so nice for you.

" I do resent that you blame all of us of lacking compassion, just because we laugh..." -- at a child who has suffered a significant crush injury due to his childish mischief. And yet if only you were a little ashamed and not resentful. Then you would know that your humanity was beginning to thaw.

"A child" is a bit misleading, isn't it? He's not an infant - he must, or should, know what would happen. I feel no shame for laughing at his misfortune and I still resent that you make generalizing arguments about my and others compassion and humanity based on this. I feel no compassion for this "child", but that does not mean much in real life.

qualmsays...

I couldn't disagree more. And I'd also argue fervently that as a human being it's my duty to say what I've said regarding violence, compassion and these displays of brittle laughter at what happens to be "in real life" the great pain and suffering of another human being, so you're quite wrong as well about there being any high horses involved.

Ryjkyjsays...

People sometimes forget that we laugh at the things that make us uncomfortable. I did laugh but it was while I was saying "OH MY GOD". The video just shocked me and I had to laugh it off. The shock. And I felt a little bad afterwards, yes.

I really can't think of many things that would be more painful than this. Especially because it looks like he would've had to stand there with his foot in the wall for a LONG TIME.

I think my point is just that I was laughing at my own stupidity. I didn't see that coming at all and I've been in Tae Kwon Do for a long time, ie: I've broken a lot of bricks with my foot. I've also broken a lot of bones, mostly when I was a kid and didn't know any better.

I can certainly understand your disgust qualm. But I can also see why some might have to laugh this off. I can also see that some people (not pointing fingers on the Sift) are heartless fucking bastards.

Hopefully I'll remember this the next time a really fucking stupid yet seemingly simple idea comes into my head.

rossprudensays...

Can we tag this with some sort of cautionary note, as in a milder version of "Faces of Death"? Had I known this video would have played out as it did, I wouldn't have watched it. (NB: I'm not saying others shouldn't watch it -- just that I would have liked to get a better idea of what I was going to watch beforehand.)

siftbotsays...

Tags for this video have been changed from 'dumbass of the day, dumbass, kicking concrete, mensa, Bad Idea' to 'dumbass of the day, dumbass, kicking concrete, mensa, Bad Idea, legcrushing goodness' - edited by gwiz665

siftbotsays...

Tags for this video have been changed from 'dumbass of the day, dumbass, kicking concrete, mensa, Bad Idea, legcrushing goodness' to 'kicking concrete, mensa, Bad Idea, crushed, fibula, tibia, leg' - edited by SlipperyPete

siftbotsays...

The duration of this video has been updated from unknown to 13 secs - length declared by radx.

This video has been flagged as being less than 1 minute in length - declared brief by radx.

siftbotsays...

Promoting this video back to the front page; last published Tuesday, January 19th, 2010 8:20pm PST - promote requested by Deano.

Send this Article to a Friend



Separate multiple emails with a comma (,); limit 5 recipients






Your email has been sent successfully!

Manage this Video in Your Playlists




notify when someone comments
X

This website uses cookies.

This website uses cookies to improve user experience. By using this website you consent to all cookies in accordance with our Privacy Policy.

I agree
  
Learn More